Monday, June 23, 2008

Movie Marathon Part 1


Wow - summer is off to a good start and I haven't said a thing. I'll say it's because all my spare time has been spent at the cineplex, viewing an insane amount of movies - that and building a Paul Rudd fansite that would rival my John Stamos shrine (heretofore to be known as "John's Rine"... which sounds a bit off, let me see what I can come up with...).

So, let's play some catch up.

It's the beginning of May and I'm still optimistic that the summer might be a good movie season (as I am at the beginning of every summer before some dog-awful sequel ruins it and leaves me a jaded and bitter nerd (see: X3 in 2006, Spider-Man 3 in 2007, Indiana Jones 4 in 2008)). I'm in NY on business, but still find time to squeeze in a little $11.75 sneak preview of a film called Iron man.


Now, let's be honest - in my ever-loving support of the comic industry (I already owe my first born child to Satan and all my creative dignity to Mephisto (very inside joke for Spiderman Nerds) because of comics), I try to see every comic adaptation like it (X2) or not (anything with Jessica Alba in it). But, Iron Man isn't exactly a namebrand - heck, I spend half my monthly salary at the comic store and I've never bought an Iron Man comic regularly.


So, off to the plex with one of my best chums to give Iron Man a shot.


And holy shi....zzle (trying to watch the vulgarity for the child readers of the blog - all none of them) - it was incredibly good.


I ain't going to summarize the story - if you haven't seen it, stop here and go now. Best movie of the year so far.


Robert Downey Jr. (as everything he stars in) is a revelation. He plays the most perfect unlikeable, can't not like him, charming, charismatic, funny comic character ever created. Have you noticed how damn glum all screen superheroes are? Even Spiderman, who is witty and hilarious in the comics, is a total "My goofy stare means I'm haunted inside" douche-bag in the flicks (the only funny thing is unintentional "Emo-Spiderman" and dear Lord, don't get us started on that poop-stain in the already messy underpants of Marvel Films). But Downey's Stark is awesome. I not only was entertained the whole time - I was laughing the whole time.


In addition to the humor, the movie carries a lot of weight - examining the roles we are in and the responsibility of our actions. Great stuff.


The rest of the cast, too, is amazing. I was hesitant in hearing about Gwynneth Paltrow playing a token female sidekick/love interest - but from her first scene, she shows that she's got a pair. She doesn't play the helpless/spineless character I feared - even to the last scene, she's a great addition to the cast.


So, yeah, go see it. One of my favorite comic movies ever.


A solid: A-

No comments: